Sunday, January 16, 2011

Training camp in Cali; pictures included, they tell the story so far.

Had the bike packed well. The TSA ALWAYS messes with it. Airline fees are out of control. 150 extra each way?! They tried to add the $35 second bag fee too.
Woke up to beautiful weather. Actually got up at 5am and did work until 8:20am, then it was group ride time.
Various groups met elsewhere and then a grand central meeting on the beach.
Central California has a lot of riders. Big group.  Today was "Sunday Worlds" a shorter faster group ride. 
Some famous bad asses too.

The group ride was "spirited" I guess, I didn't know the route and the hills so it was a challenge for me.  Those accelerations around tight corners and up hill are tough to manage.  I am fairly fit from cross-training (not cyclocross, I mean running and crap), but I was still working hard.
I added some miles to get over 60 for the day, and a tanline. Weather in the 70s.  This week should be full of training and fitness (when I am not doing real work which is the reason I'm here.  This is truly a work trip where I brought my bike; this is a close as I get to "training camp"  ugg).

4 comments:

  1. Cliff, you look thin in the face dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just got back from there a couple weeks ago. I've done that group ride a bunch of times and the speed is the same in January as it is in August. Guess that's what happens when it's 68 degrees every single day of the year.

    Did you make a run at Gibraltar Road yet to the top? I made the mistake of only brining the 12/25 last time. Could have used the 27, easily. But in truth, the descent was worse than the climb - scared the bejeezus out of me!

    Best coffee in town is the Santa Barbara Roasting Company, BTW. Time US Importers used to be 2 doors down (back when there was a Time Pro Cycling that has since become Mtn Khakis) but now it's a crepe shop or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait til you see day 6. All I can say is epic, and that sounds cliche

    ReplyDelete
  4. I now recommend you do NOT descend Gibraltar; keep going until you hit the San Marcos pass; or the Neverland Ranch, which ever comes first.

    ReplyDelete