Friday, April 24, 2009

Hotel bike counts as cross training? How to stay sane while travelling...

So, I am on a 6 day work trip on the west coast. I do not have my bike or much time to ride it anyway (this was not the case in January in Santa Barbara). After Dolan, I went home, changed, had a snack and flew to Garden Grove (Anaheim, CA).
This time of year is crucial for growing fitness for bike races. So, I am in a hotel for 6 days and needing to lose weight and work on my fitness. I have outlined what I have done.
  1. Bring a Polar heart rate monitor strap, and watch.
  2. Bring 2 sets of general workout clothes.
  3. Bring a can opener; and iPod with awesome earbuds, check out mine. These earbuds are more like an earplug, they block noise, and they really have bass! You don't have to crank the volume as high either.
  4. Get a hotel room with a fridge
  5. Walk to a grocery store and buy some healthy stuff for the week. "Bush's Beans; Black beans" have iron, protein, ok sodium, and limited calories. Get a lot of water, find some Muscle Milk or some other protein drink with limited calories.
  6. HOTEL FITNESS CENTER first thing in the morning: Get on the bike there, fire up your Polar HRM. Set a goal for calories burned (or avg HR or something).
  7. Get on that exercise bike EVERY morning, with music.
  8. Eat 1 can of beans for lunch, or something similar to avoid hotel/conference food (IF you must eat with colleagues, get the no-dressing salad, eat your beans later).
  9. Have healthy in-room dinners from the grocery store.

There you go. I fly back tomorrow, and get back on my scale at home, back to my power meter, garmin, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment