Thursday, April 30, 2009

April 27 Goon Ride Power file, Google Earth map

The Goon ride was awesome this Tuesday. I had a teammate (Robb) and they were plenty of people letting it RIP! Super Dave was out there and other people much stronger than I. I had 4 days in a row of hotel training last week- rested Saturday- freeride on Sunday, slow power loss tired ride on Monday... then I was ready for the Goon.
We had awesome weather, started off hot, then cooled nicely. What I have done here is link parts of my power file to spots on the Google earth map. NOTE: The Google Earth TIME ELAPSED data points are 4-5 minutes behind the time shown on WKO.

When the ride stopped at East-West Hwy, you can see below the elevation line staying flat, zero Power, cadence and speed. You can also see my heart rate recovering. You then see where the light turned green and cadence and power spike up.





As we grouped up after the light, the pace was a little slow. Then people starting drilling it on the front (Robb and others). A few (2-3) folks were suddenly up the road. I dropped the hammer and launched up (pardon the dramatic language, it was fun as hell). As I bridged to the 2-3 guys away, I spotted one of my UMD jerseys even farther away. I thought, "who could that be?"

I drilled it again to catch that person, IT WAS EVAN! (Ellicott, Indy). I think that the next picture shows a 558 AVERAGE Watt burst to catch up to Evan, somewhere near Wundale Rd.

You can see the HR line (red) come up, the power line (yellow) spikes way up (1185 watts), elevation is slightly dropping (orange), and cadence is whatever (blue). You can see the data points from the Google EArth map: 32 MPH, HR 175, Cadence 94 right after we passed Wyndale Dr.



We all were cruising down past the Park Police station, Evan lead the way (he was on his way home, I think). He is strong as crap, I guess babies do that for you.
Of course I was thinking about the hill. I wasn't sure if I wanted to rest up to crack the hill, or push hard TO the hill to really make it more of a struggle to get up the hill. I decided to make a good attempt at the hill while staying on Evan's wheel. Evan dropped me off right at the curb you hop to go over to the hill. I feel odd being on the front going up the hill, I was hoping to get passed so I could follow a wheel to the super sharp left hand bend...




The yellow dashed line on the graph is at 400W. You can see here the elevation line (orange) creep up, cadence (green) goes wherever, and POWER (yellow) keeps jammin' between 400 and 700Watts; all this while HR gets pegged! FULL SIZE POPUP OF THE CHART BELOW



I got dropped! Super Dave and 4 more dropped everyone. When we got back to the flat, we were chasing. Eventually, the 5 were in sight with Ford Escape drafting off of them. I drilled it to bridge up (once they were close enough) and drafted off of the car creeping up the hill out of Rock Creek. Then the next question was what to do about the Mormon Hill. I knew I'd be tired, but I gave it my all, dropped on the first part of the hill...





From the power chart below, you can see my power drop on the hill as the hill flattens out in the middle (1:08:40). HR shoots up, elevation goes up, cadence goes wicky-wack, and speed is dropping. FULL SIZE POPUP OF THE CHART BELOW




It was then a spirited ride to the "sprint" area. A guy in a sleeveless tri shirt went early, so I went on his wheel, I think then that Super Dave and Greg Abbott absolutely nailed it to the end.

It was a sweet ride, great for me as Bunny Hop appraoches 1/2/3. Ride Data:
Normalized Power: 301W, 1057 kJ, avg HR 145 bpm.

No comments:

Post a Comment