Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Hitting the gym pays off in cycling power. Check out my chart.

The above chart compares racing to off-season. I take this as good evidence that my off-bike training is helping my on bike wattage. I have been doing my gym routine during the off-season circled above.
Here is what Joe Friel says about the BASE PERIOD.

So I took it easy last week. I hit Haines Point once, had to avoid getting caught up in the sprinting. Avoiding the intensity at HP was the hardest thing to do. I had to keep the intensity down though. After 4 solid weeks of "Base Building" I hit the wall.

Hitting the wall sucked big time. It felt like a little bit of burnout mixed with getting kicked in the nuts. It was a ride where I had little mojo. No "oomph" in my legs. Body felt tired. So I planned to relax for a week. I did relax on rides, kept heart rate low. Then the weather turned nasty.

I rode after the snow day with Robb. It never reached 40 degrees. It was a good 2 hours of ride time, but my toes and feet got numb. I need new booties.
So this week with cold rain has seen:
  • Monday, no riding or training at all.
  • Tuesday, modified gym routine; I increased my Rocky Balboa jump-rope routine to 4 minutes. Jumping rope is my new cross-training favorite.
  • Wednesday, no time to ride in daylight. I finally got a fan for my indoor trainer sessions. I might have to try it out tonite.
  • Thursday- I might try to get to HP, otherwise, back to the gym for the full 70 minute routine.
  • Friday, 10k jog? 2 hour trainer session?
Who knows, weather is loco.

4 comments:

  1. By the way, I am a fan of staying in 10k running shape throughout the year. A few triathlons should help that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At any point during your "Racing" period did you do any focused 5 minute work (5x6m intervals at V02 Max power) ?

    Did you really take off from July until now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not completely take off. Total hours on a bike from July through and including September are 31 hours and 8 minutes (average HR was 134 bpm; that includes the triathlon TT where avg hr was 167). Just barely farting around on two wheels.

    I can check my record, but I assume there were 5 min intervals. Top three 5 minute power was from a 1-2-3 race (Bunny Hop) and two fast Goon rides! I did do about 10 hours total of C&O Canal riding on a 29er.

    I had a massive massive amount of grad school work to do. I gained a lot of fat.

    ReplyDelete