Monday, December 14, 2009

A tale of two Power tests. How to add 21 watts and set a Personal Best.


NOVEMBER 28th:
I went out to set FTP after a good week of training. Riding and gym routines. It was early on a Saturday on Clara Barton (at the Goldsboro area) we rode hard out to the end and back to set a max 20 min power effort. I was pleased with my watts. Felt I could have dug deeper.

DECEMBER 12th:
Fast forward to this past Saturday. I was going to Front Royal to socialize. So I brought my bike and went to Skyline Dr first thing in the morning (brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr).

I had not been on the bike for 5 days and had done 1.5 gym routines. I was rested.

I warmed up, then went to the main Skyline gate, unzipped the jacket, wore just glove liners, turned on my music (in one ear only).
As soon as my watts were steady in the 300s, I started my Garmin Edge 705 Lap2.

I ADDED 21 WATTS by being rested and fighting uphill. I was about 28 degrees, but not windy, clear and sunny. This was the highest 20min effort in I have ever put in since I began using WKO/Powertap.

I plan on adding another 14 watts to my 20 minute effort in late January. I am concerned because holiday training will be inconsistent.

Then I saw a baby bear's butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment