Thursday, May 27, 2010

Back to Greenbelt after many years; racing without computers

I started racing for UMD a long time ago.  Greenbelt park was "ours."  I first saw Eric Fetterman and Neal Bahmba crush the Greenbelt hill and it was the first time I had ever seen an absolute power fest on road bikes; I was impressionable.
I was a Greenbelt Wednesday junkie for a while.  One summer I even won the B series and got my very first pair of carbon soled road shoes (Nike Poggio 2).  In the years to follow (around 2006), an act of God (or nature) and school/work issues had me move (back) to Montgomery County.
Last night I returned to race the A race at Greenbelt after 1 hour in my car.
I sent my Garmin Edge 705 to Garmin on Tuesday for repairs- it was frozen, they received it Wednesday and I am waiting to hear the prognosis- so no computer for me (I did wear my polar watch with HR strap for some data afterward; avg HR 158, pretty high for me).
The bathroom at Greenbelt still sames the same. Being back there was like going back through your elementary school as an adult... just different smells.  I was glad to be back there (the park, not the bathroom) and I felt GOOD on the bike.  Racing with no data except my breathing was very freeing.  Being back on the Greenbelt hill was awesome.  I am happy that the race is still going on and well run (bagels, nutella, water, hell yeah).


My car is starting to get that summer race season funk-stank.

No comments:

Post a Comment