Monday, May 4, 2009

2 Goons, a 10am, + 2 Bunny Hops=Best week Yet!

My previous post documented my yee-haw fun time on the Tuesday goon. I rested wednesday.
Then, as expected, the Thursday goon ride was less intense, but still good. Greg Abbott and me finished with a handful of others.
Then I rested Friday.
SATURDAY 10AM
Then, Saturday I hit the 10am. I ended up with a R1V, Eli from Harley, and some strong as crap dude from ETS (note: I once rode for ETS and the original Rockville Harley).
I knew I would be doing 2 bunny hops (1/2/3 and the 3/4) so I wasn't trying to go all out...BUT:
I ended up in a 5 man break after the turn on Glen, then it was a 4 man. I took most of my turns pulling through but started skipping some (I think they could hear me breathing hard!).
BY the time we turned right to go up Esworthy, I simply cracked. Too many efforts up hills. That intense ride ended up being about 35-40 minutes, a good pre-race effort. I turned around after getting dropped- rode to River and limped all the way home, keeping the watts very low.
BUNNY HOP 2009 1/2/3
I had no trainer for the cold rainy warmup at Bunny Hop 1/2/3. I simply got on the course, dragged my brakes and kept the cadence at 110 to warm up. I was miserable eventhough Robb set up a great tent in the parking lot. Robb and I lined up for the 1/2/3.
I finished with the field, BUT I was in a break and covered some moves. It was my best effort and performance (not result) on a bike ever. The week before last all I could do for training was 4 hotel exercise bike days in a row... it felt awesome to be in the mix in a 1/2/3 race (last time I tried that I got lapped twice, no joke). I know it has a lot to do with the Powertap and the WKO software (and being held accountable for fitness and training).
BUNNY HOP 2009 3/4 Race
Then the 3/4 race came, same pitiful warmup scenario. Between races I toweled off and sat in Robbs car with the heat on. Then I lined up shivering.
I must say that I saw my team Bike Doctor all over the field. Covering and attacking and getting in breaks etc etc. I think we took 1st, 3rd, 6th and 7th and then I got 12th. I have to mention that I was talking trash with a teammate, I said I was smoked from the 1/2/3 but you better believe I am going for eack Prime. The first prime was awesome, I just smacked it up the inside before the last turn- got it. Then for the second prime I thought I saw a teammate go for it- so I didn't. By the third prime I had come to my senses.

Awesome day. I had to Biofreeze my whole lower back and legs.

1 comment: