Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Training Specificity: 2 weeks out.

I decided that with no racing this weekend I could think more about Tysons.  What do my legs think Tysons is??  They think it is about 60 seconds of steady power up a hill, then about 30 seconds of holding some speed, then about another 1:20 of coasting.

In all of my brilliant wisdom, I created a workout to simulate the Tyson's race.  The chart above is AN OVERLAY COMPARISON of the heart rates during my workout today (PINK LINE) and Tyson's 2009 (BLUE LINE).  (This software couldn't do power in this feature).

What you see is about 24 reps to replicate each lap.  Still couldn't get my heart rate up- I ALWAYS struggle to jack the HR when training/riding alone.

I got the timing of each effort pretty close; if I had a coach he or she would be proud.

3 comments:

  1. I am with you Cliff. I did intervals today and never hit my goal HR until the last interval in the last set when I just said screw it. I guess I was just wimping out the whole time - that should of been the one interval I couldn't reach my target. It just hurts so much more on the trainer I don't know how to quantify it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To get your HR up you guys just need to put Stephen Wahl and Jacob Tremblay in front of you on your intervals - just like the real Tysons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I- these were outside, can't imagine doing 24 x 60s @ 2:50 on the trainer. My HR would have been climbing due to heat/hydration issues.

    MM- so true. if you see the pink line in the graph how it gets funky near the end- thats because someone on a specialized TT rig wearing a Wendy's kit and red booties passed me... I just hit the Lap button and nailed it, but then we hit the one-way bridge on MacArthur Blvd. I thought I'd chase HIM, but no.

    ReplyDelete