Monday, March 22, 2010

Vint Hill Recapitulated: 3/4 power and some 1/2/3 power

Yellow power line is at 300W for reference.
I posted before, here and here that I was struggling coming off of being sick.  For the sake of overall fitness, I did the OPPOSITE of a taper.  I rode each of the five days between being sick and Vint Hill.  The weather was making me a little bit manic.  If anyone remembers that I pulled about a whole lap, with Ian, with about 1 to 3 to go in the 3/4 race... I say so what.  My teammate said it helped to keep things strung out so he could wrestle for 6th.

Here is why I am such a bitch:  I KNEW that I was tired and 5 days since being sick.  But I still FELT BAD for not being stronger

Compared to starting the 1/2/3 at Richmond... I felt about 70% of that starting the 3/4 at Vint Hill.
I'll be back.  We'll be back.

1/2/3 race; I used less smoothing on this graph.  After 30 minutes I realized my teammate Bruno was in the break, I was in pain, I wasn't doing anything, and tree pollen or whatever sucks.  yellow line at 300W for reference again.

3 comments:

  1. The smoothing is interesting. It's really how this race felt - a fairly constant state of effort. Like the Chantilly Crit last year, and just the opposite of Tyson's.

    What happened about halfway through, where your HR dropped down to the 140s? I can't find a point in my file where it looked like things eased off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that and felt it in the race. I think its just wierd coming off of sickness. I intentionally did no real warmup, so I guess that the dip in HR is from when I warmed up. I honestly have no idea, it did happen though.

    I do remember looking at my HR coming over the hill one time and thinking, "good, maybe I can handle this."

    Sheesh was I wrong! I WILL be back.
    Does your software have anything that you would use to define or create a TAPER?
    I'm going to use WKO to monitor my taper for tysons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I train fewer than 4 hours per week. My whole program is a taper.

    ReplyDelete