Thursday, February 11, 2010

Feb. 10th, CTS Sprinting Tape. Power Profile (Day 4 of CTS Tapes)

Just by looking at the profile above, you know that a sprint focused workout is very different from other workouts. The yellow line above is at 300W. I spent most of the workout WAY below 300W.
These workouts are tough because of the "downtime" between each effort. I wanted to burn about 1000kJ like I had on the past three days (CTS Crit, Climbing, & TT), but because of the sprinting, I struggled to get 750kJ (I add a long warm-up and sometimes a 10-15 minute "endurance" zone interval at the end).
I gotta say I haven't even thought about PEAK watts in a hell of a long time. Of all the workouts I do on trainer, this is the LEAST analogous to being out on the road. I say that because sprinting involves the whole body: pulling hard on the bars, throwing the bike, serious core efforts, etc. When the bike in stuck vertical none of those things can happen. But, there are some interesting parts, like 125-130 cadence "AGILITY" sprints.
Best part of the workout: 60-20-10. Hold steady power for 60 seconds, then act like you are on your own leadout train for 20 seconds, then rip out of the saddle and drill it for 10 seconds. On the graph above these are the last two spikes over 300W. I was horrible on these, I tried to hold too high a wattage (relative to my fitness) for the first 60 seconds.
Oh well.
Had a great weigh-in today. February is supposed to be a month of calorie deficit.

No comments:

Post a Comment